Denver is Colorado’s capital city. It is famous for its beautiful views, rich culture, and high altitude. Here are some interesting facts about Denver that you should know.
1. Denver wasn’t founded on a major transportation system, unlike the other cities in the state. The settlers discovered gold in this region and so people started to come here. The original settlement was founded by the gold miners and it was called Montana city. Eventually, three cities together became known as Denver, which included Montana City, Auraria, and St. Charles.
2. It is the home to five professional sports teams. NFL (Denver Broncos), NBA (Denver Nuggets), and MLB (Colorado Rockies), NHL (Colorado Avalanche) and MLS (Colorado Rapids). You will find lots of games being held here and many supporters of these games. So, it is a great place for sports enthusiasts.
3. It won’t host Olympics. It was given an invitation to host the 1976 Winter Olympics, but it rejected the invitation over concerns about over populating the city.
4. The Denver International Airport is very large. There are 53 square miles of runways, hangars, and terminals. It is one of the top four largest airports in the U.S. in terms of air traffic.
5. It is the home of the cheeseburger. Louis E. Ballast of Denver has the trademark for this food. He is the owner of the Humpty-Dumpty Barrel Drive-In. He made this delicious burger in 1935 and trademarked it. There is a stone slab in Denver made in his honor.
If you haven’t visited Denver yet, you should. It is a great place to visit with lots of history, culture, and activities. The city is very beautiful and you will have a great time.